News & Views

Majority of people in Alberta and Saskatchewan want to cut off equalization to anti-pipeline Quebec

On behalf of our client, The Rebel, Torch polled 300 residents of each of Alberta and Saskatchewan on how they felt about Quebec politicians not wanting to allow pipelines with western oil to flow through their communities. Big majorities in both province believe that if Quebec won't allow the pipelines their equalization payments should be shut off.

Respondents were asked:

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: "Because Quebec politicians say they do not want western Canadian oil piped through their communities, Alberta and Saskatchewan should cut off equalization payments to Quebec."

In Saskatchewan, 41% of people strongly agreed with that statement and another 28% moderately agreed — for a total of 69%. In Alberta the numbers are even higher: 54% of Albertans strongly agree that Quebec should be cut off. Another 26% moderately agree. The total is an astounding 4 out of 5 Albertans: 80%.

You can read all the detailed results here.